Then Boaz said to the elders and all the people, “You are witnesses this day that I have bought from the hand of Naomi all that belonged to Elimelech and all that belonged to Chilion and to Mahlon. Also Ruth the Moabite, the widow of Mahlon, I have bought to be my wife, to perpetuate the name of the dead in his inheritance, that the name of the dead may not be cut off from among his brothers and from the gate of his native place. You are witnesses this day.” Ruth 4:9-10
Indeed, Boaz shines forth here as a strong, bold, wise, and shrewd redeemer. He was clearly a man of action who made a promise to Ruth, headed immediately into town, called a court meeting to session, invited the unnamed man to sit down and make a decision on the spot, and in a short period, obeyed the law and redeemed Ruth as he led and everyone gladly followed him. He was able to do so because he had walked with personal integrity and professional ingenuity for many years, which made it possible for him to act quickly.
Jesus comes as our great redeemer who Boaz in many ways resembles:
- Like Boaz was related to Ruth and Naomi, so Jesus as God became a man to relate to us.
- Like the women couldn’t save themselves, so we too can’t save ourselves.
- Like Boaz who wasn’t obligated to save the women, so Jesus wasn’t obligated to save us.
- Like Boaz who redeemed the women, so Jesus redeems us.
- Like Boaz who satisfied the demands of the law, so Jesus lived without sin to satisfy the demands of God’s law.
- Like Boaz paid a personal price to redeem them, Jesus paid the ultimate personal price to redeem us.
- Like Boaz who loved Ruth as his bride, Jesus loves His church as His bride.
- Like Boaz who shared his land and home with the women, so Jesus has prepared an eternal home in His Kingdom for us.
- How is your prayer life*? Do you track your answered prayers? *Your trust in God is often connected to your relationship with Him.
More in North Valley Community Blog
August 15, 2018NORTH VALLEY’S CATECHISM: QUESTIONS 8-14
August 15, 2018NORTH VALLEY’S CATECHISM: QUESTIONS 1-7
August 1, 201812 WAYS TO BECOME A GREAT STUDENT AS AN ACT OF WORSHIP